There is an excellent group in Facebook called Shiva Shambho,where excellent information is shared. The information is Subtle and one has to understand the essence of Yoga and authentic texts. I shall be sharing information from the group.
Today ,we have so many people and institutions are conducting Yoga classes and Meditation courses. Most of them do not seem to follow the Patanjali Yoga Sutra to the letter. What they teach is what they think will sell. Practices that do not have rigorous procedures are taught. Fir instance, in Patanjali ‘s Ashtanga Yoga, Niyama and Yama, that is Dos and Don’ts are the first two steps before proceeding to, in the order,Asana,Pranayama, Pratyahara,Dhyana and Dharana.Then comes Samadhi, Savikalpa and Nirvikalpa
Yoga is not a physical exercise per se. The physical benefits that accrue are the spinoffs of the Spiritual Endeavour Yoga,which, many have taken tens of years to perfect.Sastras say some Carry forward Sadhana from their previous birth to this birth and take off where they left off in their earlier births.
The Yama are according to Patanjali,
- Ahimsa (अहिंसा): Nonviolence, non-harming other living beings.
- Satya (सत्य): truthfulness, non-falsehood
- Asteya (अस्तेय): non-stealing
- Brahmacharya (ब्रह्मचर्य): chastity,marital fidelity or sexual restraint
- Aparigraha (अपरिग्रह): non-avarice, non-possessiveness.
And there is Niyama, things that are to be done or followed are,
The second component of Patanjali’s Yoga path is niyama, which includes virtuous habits and observances (the “dos”).Sadhana Pada Verse 32 lists the niyamas as:
- . (शौच): purity, clearness of mind, speech and body
- Santosha (संतोष): contentment, acceptance of others, acceptance of one’s circumstances as they are in order to get past or change them, optimism for self
- Tapas (तपस्): persistence, perseverance, austerity, asceticism, self-discipline
- Svadhyaya (स्वाध्याय): study of Vedas, study of self, self-reflection, introspection of self’s thoughts, speech and actions.
- Ishvarapranidhana (ईश्वरप्रणिधान): contemplation of the Ishvara (God/Supreme Being, Brahman, True Self, Unchanging Reality).
Then comes Pranayama.Prana is the Life, verily it is the energy,that is vital that is present in every part of one’s body till it leaves the Body,when it the body becomes Inert or Sava.
For the body to be Siva, Yoga is one of the best methods.
However caution is to be exercised in following Yogic practices.
I have listed a total ten do’s and don’ts here before one attempts to go ahead in Yoga. Yama and Niyama are the first steps, preparing ground , equivalent to ,say,pre KG classes.
In the forth coming articles, I shall share information on other aspects like Prana, where to concentrate, difference between Pratyahara, Dhyana and Dharana. # I had published Explanation of Patanjali ‘s Yoga Sutras upto 32. Shall write more . Published articles are under Yoga Category.
Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra Introduction Sutra 1