I published an article on Rama’s Empire, showing the territories held by Rama.
The map was based on the references in the Ramayana of Valmiki,the descriptions of the Geography of Valmiki, the reference to the Kings who attended Sita’s Swayamwara,
The description Valmiki provides while the Horse of Lord Rama went around during the Aswamedha Yaga Rama performed after His return to Ayodhya, the directions provided by Sugreeva to his Vanara ,Monkey army when they were searching for Sita , the details found in Raghu Vamsa of Kalidasa and ancient Tamil Literature references to Rama and Ramayana.
There have been comments about the content in the post.
1.The landmass shown in the Map, shows relatively modern locations like the Suez canal.
My answer is that the reference to the areas won by Rama were cross checked for their modern names , correlated with the descriptions found in Valmiki Ramayana;then the Map was prepared taking the current names for these ancient places.
This has been done to enable the reader to understand the map.
Another point is that the ancient landmass was different from what we see to-day .
Landmass has changed.
There were super continents like Lemuria,Atlantis,Rodina, Pangaea,…
Some evidence of their existence has become available.
Research is on.
Meanwhile evidence unearthed in Arikkamedu,Tamil Nadu/Pondicherry and the epigraphs of the Thirukoilur TamilNadu speak of Kings from Tamil Nadu having links with Sanatana Dharma.
Early Tamil Sangam works speak of Rama and Krishna and Silappadikaram mentions that the Yadavas were present in Madurai,Tamil Nadu.
Krishna and Arjuna visited The Dravida Desa, South India.
Both of them married Princesses from the south.
While Krishna had a daughter through the Pandyan Princess , got her married to Pandya Prince, Arjuna had a son Babruvahana.
Balarama visited south and worshiped Lord Subrahmanya.
And Lord Krishna attended Tamil Sangam.
Please Check my posts on each these.
All these have been cross verified by archaeology, epigraph,Astronomy.
It would be erroneous to dismiss the mass of evidence because weare yet to recover all the artifacts.
River Saraswati has been identified,Dwaraka excavated.
It takes time to unearth by Indian Scholars.
There is no Dhanushkodi in South Now.
Only traces remain.
I have visited the place when I was a child.
Can I deny Dhanushkodi now?
Hence the empire of Rama is true, possible and probable, taking into consideration all the facts mentioned above.
2.Rama lived in Treta Yuga.
No doubt about this.
Treta Yuga is thousands of years ago.
The present date of Ramayana around 5000 BC is not accurate for the following reason.
Astronomical dating is done by verifying the Planetary position by taking reference to the Horoscope of Rama, Sita and Ravana apart from the eclipses mentioned in the Ramayana.
The problem is that Astronomical events keep on occurring at regular intervals.
So a planetary position or an eclipse is not unique.
What date do we take?
Now we are taking the latest for reckoning, that’s all.
Here comes the concept of Circular Time.
According to Hinduism Time is not Linear, that it is not flowing in one direction.
It is circular.
The Purana state that Agastya moved towards the South twice .
Once when Lord Shiva ordered him to move over to South to stabilize the earth, when the North end came down, South rose because of overcrowding by people who came to witness Shiva’s wedding with Uma.
( These two events have happened at different periods, not at one instance.He moved again to South to tame the Vindhya mountain.
Now let us look the calculation of Time .
There are Four Yugas and they repeat themselves.
Brahma, the Creator begins Creation at the beginning of each Yuga which will be dissolved at the end of one Chatur Yuga
Kali Yuga 4,32000 Years
Dwpara Yuga 4,32,000*2= 8,64,000
Tretha Yuga 4,32,000*3=1296000
Satya Yuga 4,32,000*4=1728000
Total 4820000 Years One Chatur Yuga
One Manvantara is 306.72 million Years.
Life in the universe is created and destroyed once every 4.1 to 8.2 billion years, which is one full day (day and night) for Brahma. The lifetime of a Brahma is believed to be 311 trillion and 40 billion years-Hindu Cosmology.
‘Eighty million years ago, India was approximately 6400 km (3968 miles) south of the Eurasian plate. Separating the two was the Tethys Sea. The Indo-Australian tectonic plate – containing the continent of Australia, the Indian subcontinent, and surrounding ocean – was pushed northward by the convection currents generated in the inner mantle. For millions of years, India made its way across the sea toward the Eurasian plate. As India approached Asia, around 40 million years ago, the Tethys Sea began to shrink and its seabed slowly pushed upwards. The Tethys Sea disappeared completely around 20 million years ago and sediments rising from its seabed formed a mountain range. When India and Tibet collided, instead of descending with the plate, the relatively light sedimentary and metamorphic rock that makes up the subcontinent of India pushed against Tibet, forcing it upwards, and created a massive mountain fold. The Himalayas.’
Proof from the position of Agastya Star,Canopus.
Canopus is associated with the sageAgastya, one of the ancient rishis (the others are associated with the stars of the Big Dipper). Agastya, the star, is said to be the ‘cleanser of waters’ and its rising coincides with the calming of the waters of the Indian Ocean. It is considered the son of Pulasthya, son of Brahma.
Canopus is 310 Light Years away from the Earth.
‘Agastya, is the author of 25 hymns (nos 166 to 190) of the first ‘mandala’ of the Rigveda.
2. Canopus, the second brightest star in the night sky, is called Agastya in India.
3. This star is close to the ecliptic south pole, having an ecliptic latitude of –76°.
4. As the celestial poles go round the ecliptic poles due to the phenomenon of precession of the earth’s axis of rotation, this star becomes visible from different latitudes on the globe at different times. If we assume that for a star to be visible at a place its altitude at the meridian passage should be at least 5°, then calculations give the visibility curve for Agastya (Canopus) as follows.
5. Agastya was not visible from any part of India before 10,000 BC.
6. First it became visible at Kanyakumari around that epoch. Thereafter, as it was brought more and more northwards by precession, it became visible at various places in India.
7. It became visible in the east coast (in the present Chennai region) in 8500 BC, and in the present day Hyderabad in 7200 BC, in the Vindhya region in 5200 BC, at Delhi in 3100 BC.
8. At present it is visible from most parts of India for longer or shorter durations. This cycle will repeat after every 25,765 years. It is thus clear that around 5000 BC, the star Agastya was visible from the south of the Vindhyas, but not from the north of it.
9. If sage Agastya was the first to cross the Vindhyas from the north, he would have been the first northerner to see the star. Hence the star has been named after him, just as the Magellanic clouds in the southern sky are named after the navigator Magellan, who first saw them as he sailed southwards.
10. This fixes an epoch of 5000 BC for sage Agastya. This date is based on the assumption that for a star to be visible its meridian altitude has to be at least 5°.
11. If we make 8° meridian altitude as the criterion for visibility, the date of Agastya would be shifted to about 4000 BC. The dates 5000 and 4000 BC should therefore bracket the probable epoch of Agastya crossing the Vindhya mountains.
Hindu Puranas state that the south pole came up because of over crowding in the Himalayas because people has rushed in to witness the wedding of Lord Shiva with Parvati and to set the earth’s balance aright Shiva ordered Agastya to go to South and he did so.
Now the tectonic plate movement of the Himalayas confirm this by observing that
” The Indo-Australian tectonic plate – containing the continent of Australia, the Indian subcontinent, and surrounding ocean – was pushed northward by the convection currents generated in the inner mantle. For millions of years, India made its way across the sea toward the Eurasian plate. As India approached Asia, around 40 million years ago, the Tethys Sea began to shrink and its seabed slowly pushed upwards. The Tethys Sea disappeared completely around 20 million years ago and sediments rising from its seabed formed a mountain range. When India and Tibet collided, instead of descending with the plate, the relatively light sedimentary and metamorphic rock that makes up the subcontinent of India pushed against Tibet, forcing it upwards, and created a massive mountain fold.”
Hence Agastya left for the South around 40 Million years ago to balance the earth.
Please read my Post Canopus Agastya validates Sanatana Dharma.”
Above is an except from My Post
So the Treta Yuga period is validated.
The Astronomical events which we are using to date Ramayana happened in Treta Yuga, as celestial events take place regularly, as well.
The land mass as I have shown is correct for the reasons mentioned in answering critics in point number 1 .
And that Rama lived in Treta Yuga and both the observations are correct.
Kindly read my posts on Agastya Date, Ramayana Date, Mahabharata date,Dating tools and more posts filed under Hinduism.